Itching and dandruff in hair, unable to concentrate

Excellent

Question
I always have an itching sensation and have lots of dandruff in my hair and hence iam unable to concentrate on my regular work
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 52 minutes later
Hello;
Dandruff is a form of skin eczema involving basically the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp.
It can be caused by :-
-Frequent exposure to extreme heat and cold,
-Known to be caused by a yeast that lives on the skin called Malassezia furfur,
-Severe stress,
Some times an added infections of scalp are also seen most likely fungal infection there by causing itching.
As a treatment you can use lotion of Selenium sulfide by the name Selsun.
Also using shampoos containing anti fungal like Ketoconazole along with zinc pyrithione(ZPTO) help to treat and reduce the dandruff.
Hope this answer is helpful to you.
In case of any query please write back.
Please accept this answer if you have no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Itching and dandruff in hair, unable to concentrate 13 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor.

Can you please advice me as to which is the best shampoo to be used for daily routines???

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 6 hours later
Hello;

Thanks for writing back.

You can use any shampoo that suits you. Since you have problem of dandruff you may use "Head and shoulder" (if it suits you) as it contains ZPTO (zinc pyrithione). Alternative "Nizoral antidandruff shampoo".

Shampoo's are best effective when applied to the scalp and left for few minutes and not just rinse hair. Also whenever you use a conditioner it should be only for the lower part from your shoulder and below. Never apply conditioner directly to the scalp.

Hope this answer is helpful. In case of any query I shall be available to help you.
Please accept this answer and close the discussion if you have no further queries.

Wish you good health.

Warm regards

Follow-up: Itching and dandruff in hair, unable to concentrate 16 hours later
Can we use the Selsun Shampoo for regular use as i want to fix with one shampoo from now on.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 8 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back.
Selsun is not a shampoo to be used for regular hair wash. It contains selenium sulfide which is an anti-infective agent to relieve itching and flaking of the scalp and removes the dry, scaly particles in case of dandruff.
Daily use of anti infective product is not advisable.
For the dandruff, you can use Arcolane shampoo 2% on alternate days. This needs to be applied on the scalp for 20 minutes before washing it off.
If you think that you scalp is oily even after that, you can use any mild shampoo available in the market.
Hope this answer is helpful to you.
Please close this discussion if you have no further queries.
Warm regards