Is there any side effect if a child takes lipitor accidently?

I am missing one of my 20mg lipitor and we just unpacked from visiting my 1yr old grandson. It is late so I texted his parents to look for it in the bathroom we were using. I am terribly worried as he puts everything in his mouth. What will this do?
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 48 minutes later

I understand your concern.

Relax; lipitor is lipid reducing drug and it has very high therapeutic index - that is the ratio between dose of drug that causes lethal effect and dose that causes therapeutic effect.

If an one year old child who weighs about 10 kg accidentally takes 20 mg tablet, there are no side effects expected.

This child can be monitored for any muscle pain, tenderness ,change in color or amount of urine, any allergic reaction like rash, breathlessness, lethargy, etc. These side effects are however very unlikely with single exposure. Therefore do not be very concerned.

In case any symptom is reported get you grandson examined by doctor.

Hope I answered your query; if you have any other question I would be glad to help.
If you do not have any questions to me, please close this discussion.

Wishing you and your family good health.
God bless!!