Is there any risk of sleeping tablets affecting the effectiveness of Malarone?

I am going on holiday in few hours and taking malarone as anti-malaria measure...I was also going to take sleeping tablets with me too - zolpidem (prescribed) and maybe try sominex a herbal one...(I've had pretty severe sleep disorder for 18months and finally went to the docs a month ago for tablets and want to try them on holiday as I wont have to worry about side effects/drowsiness with work) ...but it suddenly occured to me that I need to ask if there is any risk of the sleeping tablets adversely affecting the effectiveness of the malarone?
(I'm 41, female, 5'4",12stone)
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending a question.

Regarding these two medications, it is absolutely safe for you to take them both at the same time. Taking these medications at the same time will not result in any decreased effectiveness. You will still be safe and medicated against malaria. You should also have no problem with the therapeutic effectiveness of the Zolpidem. This medication has no impact on the effectiveness of the malarone.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional questions or concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Robert