Is there a link between hives and hormone changes?

Is there a link between hives and hormone changes? I am 44 years old and have been experiencing chronic hives since XXXXXXX (9 mon.) I have also developed asthma during this time period. I've been prescribed a variety of meds over the past several months. Some work for a while, then need to be change again. My migraines have also increased in frequency an as of lately with intensity. Sometimes I feel like i'm losing my mind. My head is in a fog, I have no energy, confusion and poor memory plus the dreaded weight gain. I have seen my family physician, an allergist, a dermatologist, a chiropractor, and a dermatologist at Mayo Clinic. The best diagnosis is autoimmune utecharia. Feeling very frustrated. I want my life back!!!
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hives are due to allergy; not to hormonal changes

Detailed Answer:

Good Day to you,

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.

* There is no known correlation between onset of hives with hormonal changes.

* You have not mentioned if diagnostic tests were done which confirmed the diagnosis of Autoimmune Urticaria.

* If it is a confirmed diagnosis, treatment is a daunting task, as response to conventional anti-allergic drugs is variable or even disappointing. I have, however, had a few patients in clinic, who have shown favorable response to unconventional doses of Fexofenadine 120mg twice daily.

* Oral steroids are quite effective, but- given their side effects- they are recommended in short courses during severe attacks.

* Further, your symptoms such as weight gain, lethargy, mood swings, migraines, easy fatigability and lethargy point towards co-existing Hypothyroid state. I recommend that you get a Thyroid Hormonal assay done to exclude/confirm the diagnosis. Another test- Anti-TPO antibodies (which indicates autoimmune hypothyroidism), if positive, will lend further credence to the diagnosis of Autoimmune Urticaria.

* Nevertheless, there is a possibility that you may be allergic to medicines such as pain-killers, which I presume, you might be taking for migraines. Try stopping pain-killers and see the response.

Under the circumstances, I suggest that you discuss the entire matter with your treating doctor who, in his wisdom, may

- order Thyroid hormonal assay test. If it indicates Hypothyroidism, he will prescribe Thyroid hormonal replacement therapy- which will take care of problems other than hives.

- prescribe other anti-allergic medicines, in combination (anti-histaminics, montelukast, azelastine nasal spray; inhaled bronchodilators + steroids for asthma.

* If there is no significant response to these agents, your doctor may consider using appropriate anti-cancer drugs to curb hives. Or, may even contemplate giving a trial of intravenous immunoglobulins (synthetic antibodies).

* You should also go in for long-term preventive treatment for Migraine. your doctor would know the appropriate drugs.

Hope I have addressed your query to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help you.

However, if you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Fond regards and best wishes,

Dr. (Col) R Karanwal