Is taking antibiotics during last 2 weeks of pregnancy safe?

General Surgeon
Hi, i am 37 years old and 37 weeks pregnant with my first child - a boy. Today, during my appointment, the doctor told me that i have east infection, strep B and gardnerella. I knew that i have strep B and east infection. The doctor prescribed me vaginal cream terconazole and metronidazole 500mg orally 2 times per day for for 1 week (1 tablet per mouth twice per day). I am scheduled for a C section in 2 weeks because i have breech baby. I am very concerned that i have to take metronidazole -- antibiotic -- during my last 2 weeks of pregnancy. It is necessary? Can it harm my baby? Please suggest. Thank you a lot.

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 25 minutes later

As you are 37 weeks pregnant with breech presentation ,so planned LSCS is a must ,as decided by your doctor after 2 weeks.

Now you are suffering from yeast infection ( candidasis) ,steptococcal B ,and Vaginal Gardenella .

Metronidazole during last days of pregnancy are safe .500 mg twice daily is a safe dose ,so it can safely be taken .

Keep in mind infection can cause more harm than metronidazole.

Recent evidence has shown, that this drug is not associated with adverse effects during either pregnancy or breastfeeding.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”