Is subsegmental atelectasis versus fibrosis serious ailment?

is subsegmental atelectasis versus fibrosis serious ailment? How about Fibrosis both upper lungs?the xray says Fibrosis, both upper lungs, subsegmental atelectasis versus fibrosis, rt lower lobe; cardio
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later

Segmental atelectasis and fibrosis are the progressive steps / process in infection.

Atelectasis means collapase of alveoli (respiratory basic unit) which progressively get replaced by fibrous tissue - referred to as fibrosis. So fibrosis will be last step. Presence of fibrosis denotes past infection; accordingly fibrosis of upper lobe denotes old infection. It will not hamper the lung capacity much.

As you have done X-rays alone, I suggest you to consult a pulmonologist and also go for High Resonance Computed Tomography (HRCT) thorax for complete evaluation of lungs. Seriousness of disease process can be decided only after complete evaluation and physical examination.

Hope I have answered your query well. Let me know if you have any other concerns.