Is spotting a sign of pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
hi am 37yrs i had my last period on 4thdec 2013,on the 2nd of XXXXXXX 2014 i saw some spotting on my pant so i decided to do pregnancy test at home by testing my 1st morning urine which reads positive pregnant.i was excited about it so i walked into a walk-in-clinic to do speak with a doc.i was asked to do some lab tests but the blood test says negative.but am so confused because also just this morning i had sex with my husband and later saw blood.i feel am pregnant pls i need your help a
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: beta hCG Detailed Answer: Hi The problem with urine pregnancy test is that there are chances of false positive report. Hence not reliable. Please get serum beta hCG blood test done to confirm pregnancy. If its negative then you are not pregnant. Bleeding you have now could be remained menstrual blood. Let me know if you have any more questions Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Is spotting a sign of pregnancy? 2 hours later
thanks for the response.but the kind of blood i see is not the heavy flow i usually have when u still insist i go for the hcg blood test? i used the clear blue kit for the urine test at home does that mean its not reliable?also the remained menstrual blood you mentioned is not clear to me since my period is way off the date expected.thanks
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hi Serum beta hCG is the confirmation blood test. Sometimes endometrial tissue remained during menses comes out like this small bleeding. But if beta hCG is positive means you have to take very much care as you might be aborting. So please test and let me know so that cause of bleeding is confirmed. Regards