Is "scattered small meseteric lymph nodes in short axis measuring 6mm" a serious condition?

May 2014

I just got a ct scan abd and pelv with XXXXXXX in veins. The scan read everything was good but I noticed it said under mesentery lymph nodes . It read scattered small meseteric lymph nodes in short axis measuring up to 6mm . I'm due for a colonoscopy very soon as I set it up. I'm 37. No smoker, no drinker, no drugs, exercise, grandmas aunt had colon cancer in her 50s. I had some pain in my side so I went to er. They did CBC and ct. The er doc and my reg doc didn't say anything to me about the 6mm . Should I be worried. I have had constipation and loose stools the last 5 weeks.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. Small mesenteric lymph nodes measuring up to 6 mm in short axis diameter fall in a grey zone. That means on one hand they can be accepted as totally harmless and not related to any serious disorder or rarely they can be due to inflammatory changes in the bowel and very rarely a cancer. As rest of the CT scan report stands clear, there is no mention of bowel thickening and other significant abnormality, you are on the right management in getting a colonoscopy done soon. This will show and mucosal changes in the lumen of large bowel which can possibly be causing your constipation and diarrhea. There are a group of disorders termed inflammatory bowel diseases and that must also be kept in mind. If the doctors have cancer in mind, there are indirect specific blood tests which may need to be done. I suggest that you get colonoscopy done and then discuss the findings in detail. Wishing you good health. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek