Is safe to smoke marijuana when suffering from kidney problem?

Hello i have a damaged kidney from a bad toxin i put into my body. I have stopped my smoking my prescription marijuana for my arthritis because i fear it will make my kidney worse because it still hurts. The same thing happened to a friend of mine and he said all i need to do is rest and wait for my kidney to heal. Should I wait until my kidney is healed to smoke or will it not affect my kidney?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Marijuana is not safe Detailed Answer: Hello, Marijuana can cause renal failure and there are reports of renal infarction(death of renal tissue). It's better to avoid Marijuana. I would treat by using hydroxychloroquin and leflunamide for your arthritis & these drugs are renoprotective. Usage of splints will reduce pain and swelling. Striking a balance between exercise and rest is important to avoid stiffness and joint pain due to arthritis. Easy stretching exercises give pain relief. Hope this answers your question. Thanks.