Is panic attack a side effect of birth control pill?

Dec 2012

Started the birth control pill couple days ago now I'm having bad panick attacks could it be the pill?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No such side effects reported with pills Detailed Answer: Hello, thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I have not come across such side effects before after a woman has been placed on birth control pills. Most pills are hormone based usually of estrogen and progestin. They can lead to depression (reported in some cases) but I have not come across any case that has to do with panic attacks. But it is possible that a hormone-based birth control pill can lead to such psychosocial crisis. The best way to correlate this for sure is to stay off the pill after you have completed the monthly cycle i.e abstain from taking the pill for next monthly cycle, then observe to see if the panic attacks have stopped. Recent event could have triggered panic attacks which could have occurred coincidentally with you taking the pills. However, trying reporting this to your doctor for closer follow-up. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah