Ask a Urologist   »  

Is painful urination a sign of pregnancy?

General Surgeon
I'm trying to see what's wrong with me I been sick tired and weak lately it hurts me real bad to urinate my family members told me that I am pregnant
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: i think that you have got uti Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. You can check your pregnancy status easily by getting a urine pregnancy test kit. It is available at most pharmacies and you can check it at the comfort of your home. Now coming to your symptoms, to me it looks like that you have got urinary tract infection. But we need to confirm that first and for that you need to get a test called as 'urine routine'. Also, if you can get an ultrasound scan of your abdomen, to know the bladder wall thickness and to rule out any stones in the tract, will be very much helpful to get to a diagnosis, also in addition to the urinary tract, it will help rule out any problems in all other organs of the abdomen. Hope i have answered all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Get Well Soon! Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow-up: Is painful urination a sign of pregnancy? 19 minutes later
I know I have a bladder infection but my stomach is growing like a egg and I always stay sick people telling me every time I have sex the baby move down even further that it's on top of my vaginal my breast stay soar and a lot of more stuff
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please get a ultrasound scan Detailed Answer: Hi, As I had suggested earlier, get an ultrasound scan of your abdomen. That will tell the status of your pregnancy, your uterus size and also that of your ovaries, liver and kidney. As these are the organs that can lead to increase in size of your stomach. Abdominal cavity is a Pandora's box, and without a scan it will be very difficult to reach to a diagnosis. Also if you know that you have a bladder infection then urine test is not needed. You need to start antibiotics if you already not started. By first you need to be sure of your pregnancy status as some drugs can be harmful to the baby. Thus we reach back to the same point that you need to get a scan as the minimum. Regards Dr. Ashish Verma