Is low dose of Ambien for insomnia safe when suffering from tinnitus?

ENT Specialist
I have tinnitus in my left ear for over 6 weeks, this occurred after a viral infection. During the day the sound is low and even absent. Sleeping at night is horrible. Last night I did not sleep at hall. I takeite6 mg of Melitonin which seems to help with falling asleep anI use white noise which occasionally helps, it did nothing last night. I do have TMJ and some cervical arthritis. My ENT said I have tinnitus and a hearing loss in both ears. She said a hearing aid may help with the ringing. My problem is with getting enough sleep. I am scheduled for a retinal surgery for a macular hole and will have to keep my head lowered for 1-2 weeks. This surgery is scheduled for 30 January. I am worried that my inability to get quality sleep may affect the outcome of the surgery. Should I schedule the surgery for next month and try to regulate the tinnitus situation. My energy is low aam concerned . Would a low dose Ambien i.e. .5-1mg help with the insomnia? Can it ultimately increase the tinnitus? Sorry to hit you with so many questions but I am a medical professional and have a large practice. Thank you for your assistance
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: take medicines for tinnitus Detailed Answer: Hello, For your Tinnitus did you take steroids ? You have Diabetes but still steroids should have been taken.with Insulin. with strict sugar control. I prescribe to my patients-- tablet Neurobion forte, tablet pentoxyfylline,Capsule ginkoser . For Tinnitus hearing aid is a good option if you have hearing loss with tinnitus. You can keep a radio or a tic tac watch in room. Anxiolytic tablet like Ambien will not increase tinnitus. but still my advice is to take medical treatment first , even when 6 weeks have passed. In doubt do reply.
Follow-up: Is low dose of Ambien for insomnia safe when suffering from tinnitus? 45 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX I proceeded to take 40mg prednisone tabs (20mg) bid x5 days. Ringing continues and today the sound was worse than ever. I did nasal steam inhalation 3x's yesterday, could this be causing a problem ( I use eucalyptus oil, and peppermint oil)? I do use high doses of Vit B, espec. B12,and Ginkgo bilob. Also bioflavonoids. I understand that I can have eustachion tube closures for up to 6 months before we know that the tinnitus has become chronic. Question:Are there any eardrops I can use to sooth the loud sounds? The deeper and lighter sounds are more tolerable. I took 5mg Ambien yesterday and it seemed to help when I was awakened at 3.a.m. Should I continue to take Sudafed as a decongestant and also an antihistamine? Appreciate your professional help Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please continue with tablet Detailed Answer: Hello Dr XXXXXXX If you do not have wax or discharge in ear then there is no need for ear drops at all. You should continue with steroids and sudafed. Steam inhalations will definitely help. You should also go for Xylometazoline nasal drops two drops both nostril two times a day as nasal decongestant, it will help for opening up of eustachian tube. Also you can take chewing gums to chew which will help opening the eustachian tube. In addition Mucinac (acetyl cystine) or Ambroxol would help a lot. If available take Nootropil and Ginkgo biloba which will help decrease the tinnitus. In doubt please do reply
Follow-up: Is low dose of Ambien for insomnia safe when suffering from tinnitus? 54 minutes later
Thank you XXXXXXX One more question, I have an appointment with an audiologist who ignored my diagnosis of Eustachian tube dysfunction and after a hearing test said I had high sound hearing loss and that a special device would improve the condition. My Eustachian tubes were closed with tympanic pressure test, but this also seemed to be ignored. My question is: How would special hearing aids with sound device, over shadow the tinnitus even when the inflamed tubes are involved. Hearing aids are extremely expensive here and at the age of 72 I would expect some mild hearing deficit. I am also a physician and practice alternative medicine. Are there any specific aryuvedic herbals that might also be helpful,? Thanks again Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Use hearing aid after tube dysfunction settles Detailed Answer: Hello Sir, First of all when there is eustachian tube dysfunction then the hearing aid fitting should be avoided as mapping ie setting of the aid cannot be done properly . So first take medicines for tube dysfunction. Secondly how hearing aid helps in decreasing tinnitus----- Normally there is sound produced in the ear by hair cells in the inner ear but that is not audible , as is suppressed by outside sound ie environmental sound. When there is hearing loss then outside sound is not audible (as hair cells decrease in function and number) so the sound produced by these hair cells becomes audible .which can be suppressed by the use of hearing aid. i think i am able to clear my point. Thirdly ginkgo biloba (a chinese herb)is very good medicine for tinnitus. In addition there are cognitive enhancers which are good like Nootropil etc. If there is any medicine like cognitive enhancer in ayurved i dont know , but i will be very glad to know if you tell me. (Or if in your XXXXXXX which you follow) . I can be a good student. Regards
Follow-up: Is low dose of Ambien for insomnia safe when suffering from tinnitus? 10 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX you have been a very valuable person in advising me about my tinnitus problem. My area of expertise is in alternative medicine i.e. homeopathy, acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicines and nutrition. Today I had very good day and visited an Indian restaurant ( new) in Deming NM to heal my Eustachian problems. You see my sister was married to a Mr. XXXXXXX from Gudgarat and was an excellent Indian cook. Having lived in New Mexico for many years without curried chicken, vegetable Bihari, dal, carrot pudding and of course masala chai, this was a real treat. The heat did my throat good, especially the spicy pickles and garlic XXXXXXX I did order the nootropil ( called piracetam) with choline. I also take lipoflavonoids which appear to increase circulation in the inner ear. Ambroxol does not appear to be available in the US. But many good medications from Germany and India are not available here. I feel more relaxed and feel confident about my condition after speaking with you. This condition can be very upsetting. Thank you for your clear and supportive advice, maybe our paths will cross someday and I would like to continue our relationship if I need your help in the future. Namaste' DR. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 28 hours later
Brief Answer: Thankyou Detailed Answer: It was nice to talk to you, Dr. XXXXXXX If necessary, I will be available to assist you in future. Regards