Is it safe to use Novamox and Maxtra for 8 months old suffering from cold, cough and chest congestion?

My baby is 8 months old. She was suffering from cold, cough and chest congestion for 1 week about 15 days back. She was prescribed Novamox and Maxtra as a 5 day course. I just want to know how safe is the use of the above and can I give the same medication again if she shows the symptoms of cold and cough again. I am presently in a hill station away from my doctor so wanted to know if a medicine has worked before the same can be given again so frequently
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No do not try repeating the same medication. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to health care magic. I can understand your concern. Do not use the same medication if your baby has cough and cold. This is because cough could be because of several causes. For example if cough is because of acute bronchiolitis antibiotics have no role. First the cause of cough should be identified and then it should be treated. A physical examination by your doctor is mandatory before starting any sort of treatment. The previous drugs that were given for your baby are safe only if given under a doctor's supervision. If the baby has rapid braething, grunting, nasal flaring these are XXXXXXX signs and will indicate that the baby should be immediately evaluated by a pediatrician. If the baby has bad nasal congestion, then you can give him maxtra syrup in the most appropriate doses till you see a doctor. Please do not self medicate your baby. It could be XXXXXXX Please get him examined by a Pediatrician. I can see from the location search that you are giving this message from a forward area. A medical officer of the army may be available if you cannot get your baby checked up by a Pediatrician. Continue to ask further queries as required. Hope this helps. Take care. Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty M.D.(Pediatrics) Associate Professor of Pediatrics