Is it safe to take an i-pill just to be sure, even if intercourse did not take place?.

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
is it safe to take an i-pill just to be sure..even if intercourse did not take place?..the semen was outside the vaginal area..but this can still remotely cause pregnancy right?...25yrs old, never used ipill before..
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 minutes later

Better to go for i pill:
-As spermatozoa can have some amount of motility
-If there is any accidental spillage of semen into vagina
-And if the act took place around the time of ovulation

But it should be taken within 72 hours of the act.
The effect will be more when you took early.
I pill can cause some side effects like nausea, bloating sensation of the abdomen, menstrual irregularities etc.
For more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/emergency-contraceptive-pill-short-term.html
So better to go for some regular method of contraception in future.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Is it safe to take an i-pill just to be sure, even if intercourse did not take place?. 25 minutes later
the semen was washed off immediately...i am concerened about the side effects of i-pill as i hav nvr used it before..

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 53 minutes later

According to your history the chance of pregnancy is definitely low.
So what you can do is if the act took place around the period of ovulation take the pill if not no need to take.
In case of regular cycle of 28 to 30 days duration the period of ovulation falls between 12th to 18th day usually.
One pill may not cause much effects but repeated use should be avoided.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.