Is it safe to take Sudafed for blocked nose when have slightly elevated BP?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013
Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi. I have slightly elevated blood pressure. I also have a blocked nose, is it ok to take sudafed? Or can you suggest any other home remedy?
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: take with caution Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to Health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. Sudafed is the chemical Pseudoephedrine and is a decongestant which I am sure you would already know. Though it is a very effective decongestant, it is not very commonly used because it has lots of side effects. In fact the combination of this chemical with anti-histamine is banned in many countries. The reason for the ban is chiefly because it can elevate blood pressure even in a normal individual while in a person with already elevated blood pressure as in Hypertension it is much more risky. One of the problems with this is throbbing headache which I have commonly seen among my patients. Coming to your problem per say, I have the following points: - If your pressure is only slightly elevated and you have good control over your pressure and also most importantly if you can monitor your blood pressure after you take this medication then you can take Pseudoephedrine for nose block in consultation with your doctor. If not then you may try what I have mentioned below - Try steam inhalation with menthol like preparation which will relieve your nose block. Do this two to three times in a day - Take only warm water and do not take head bath for a couple of days - I would generally prefer saline drops for mild nose block which is safe and effective and is available over the counter. You may try these - For my patients with nose block which is more severe I would suggest a levocetrizine-monteleukast combination which is quite effective in relieving nose block. Your doctor will know about this If the nose block persists then you must get a CT PNS and get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the reports. Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to help you out if you have any more doubts. get well soon Regards Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Sudafed for blocked nose when have slightly elevated BP? 21 minutes later
So nithing serious?

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: nothing serious Detailed Answer: hello again, Nothing serious but be careful and please take medications only under proper guidance and precautions. Hope you get well soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Sudafed for blocked nose when have slightly elevated BP? 1 minute later
How long will this last? Do paracetamols work?

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: depends.. Detailed Answer: hello again, If the nose block is due to a mild viral infection then it should become better in four to five days and if it is due to a secondary infection then in a week or two. If your nose block is persisting then needless to say you must consult an ENT surgeon who can examine to see if you have any causes of persistent nose block like a deviated septum or even polyp. But do not worry, this is only if the nose block is persistent for months. Paracetamol will only relieve the pain to a small extent if you have any and also fever. It has no direct effect on the nose block. Hope this helps regards Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Sudafed for blocked nose when have slightly elevated BP? 2 minutes later
No fever just headace, sneezing and obviously blocked nose. The nose gets better then gets blocked! Is this a cold? This will be by last question

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: just a common cold... Detailed Answer: hello again, I believe by your description of your symptoms that you just have common viral infection which has caused the block. Continue the symptomatic treatment including decongestants (whichever you prefer and your doctor prescribes) and you should get better in less than a week. Take plenty of warm fluids, steam inhalation and do not take head bath. take care and hope you get better Of course if it persists for more than a week you must consult an ENT surgeon hope your doubts are clear and you may ask me if you have any more regards Dr Sriram XXXXXXX

Thanks apprecaite your kind help!

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: you are welcome hope you get well soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan