Is it safe to stop Xanax when unavailable?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I take 2 - 3 Xanax .250 tablets daily. In Australia Xanax is about to be rescheduled to a Class 8 drug making it much harder to get. Should I just stop taking it?
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the answe below. Detailed Answer: HI, I read your query and understood your concern. Xanas is a psycoactive preparation used to treat anxious disorders. Its generic name is Alprazolam. If you can't find this drug under Xanax, you might find with another names, also you can buy it online. However, if you still wish to stop taking it, you should decrease its dose slowly under doctor's supervision. Stopping abruptly the preparation may worsen the symptoms of anxiety and may lead to major complication. So I suggest to talk to your doctor first , than slowly decrease the doses of Xanax. If the symptoms worsen during the decrease of doses, you should increase the dose to the precedent and immediately consult your doctor. When you reach the daily dose of 0.250 mg per day than you can safely stop the medication. Hope I answered to your question. Dr. Sonila.