Is it safe to install mobile tower antenna in the building terrace?

Feb 2013

Dear Doctor, I have a general question wrt installation of mobile / cell tower antenna in our building. The Society has been approached by a mobile tower company with a proposal, and they have also showed some report with statistics on recommended radiation levels as per government guidelines and actual radiation from the towers installed nearby.

The questions basically are:
1. Is it safe to install mobile tower antenna in the building terrace (we stay on the floor just under the terrace)
2. Are there any concerns if the antenna in installed just above our flat. Is the problem, if any, caused by the tower or the machine
3. What are the premissible limits of radiation from mobile towers
4. Are we aware of any agencies who carry out radiation tests, which the Society can indepedently appoint, to conduct regular tests and provide the report to the Society, so we can monitor the radiation levels.

Thanks & Regards
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

My answer to your questions are :

1. It is not safe to install mobile tower antenna in the building and in residential

2. The concerns and problems are sleep disturbances, hearing problems,
headaches, anxiety neurosis, fatigue, and probably cancers of brain (under

3. Permissible limits of radiation from mobile towers vary from one country to the
other country.

India : 4,500 mw/m sq

USA : 3,000 mw/m sq

China: 400 mw/m s

Russia : 100 mw/m sq

Switzerland : 42 mw/m sq

4. Government agencies usually like telecom regulatory authorities at central level
or municipality authorities should monitor the radiation levels at regular levels
and they should issue recommendations and guide lines for their installation and

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.