Is it safe to have MRI if you have a history of kidney stones?

Is it safe to have mri/w gad if you have a history of kidney stones?Should I have urological exam before MRI? How often should MRI 'S BE DONE?
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 21 hours later
Brief Answer: MRI in kidney stone disease Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Kidney stones are not a contraindication for MRI. But we should assess the kidney function. If Serum creatinine value is normal , < 1.2 mg/dl then there is not much risk . But as serum creatinine rises there is mild risk of gadolinium causing a condition known as nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF). Kindly go through this abstract WWW.WWWW.WW Contrast induced kidney disease as seen in CT scan associated use of contrast is more common while gadolinium rarely causes this condition. gadolinium toxicity is more common in advanced renal failure when GFR is < 15 ml/min. There seems to be little or no risk for patients with stages 1 through 3 CKD. Clearly, patients with normal kidney function have no risk. You should have blood test for serum creatinine before SCAN- meet nephrologist. The frequency of MRI is at the discretion of the doctor demanding the MRI. It depends on the need of MRI to answer a clinical question mostly for neurological or onchology diseases. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Is it safe to have MRI if you have a history of kidney stones? 12 hours later
Thank you for answering my question. Yes, my creatinine level is Ok to have MRI, however I've been scheduled to see a urologist before MRI. Is this appropriate or necessary? ER report from 2010 states " several tiny nonbobstructing caculi are seen in superior pole of right kidney. On the left there is moderate left hydronephrosis and left hydroureter related to a 3mm calculus at the left ureteral vesicle junction. The urinary bladder appears normal. Would it be more appropriate to see a nephrologist ?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: MRI Contrast Detailed Answer: Hi, We cannot go by 2010 reports. As far as assessment of stone disease and kidney function is there. You should get a fresh ultrasound Abdomen or a plain CT scan, to see the extent and number of stones there sizes and plan there treatment. a fresh serum creatinine level should also be done. This can be carried out by a nephrologist or a urologist. MRI is not a good test to diagnose kidney stones. As i could see in your record MRI is being done for spine and neural axis assessment for MS. So, You can first visit the urologist, sort out the kidney issue and then go to neurologist and MRI if needed. If serum creatinine is elevated please meet a nephrologist. Bye