Is it possible to increase height with growth hormone at 20 years of age?

Aug 2012

My son is 20 and he is 5"4 and is wanting to take growth harmones...his father is 5"10 and the doctors have always said he would be his height...we had gone to an endocrinologist about 2 years ago and his growth harmones level was 597 he stated that he really thought he would grow to be at least 5"6 or 5" he wants to be put on grow harmones how can we get him on them for at least 6 months to see if it enhances his growth at all
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 7 hours later
Hi there.

If your son has already reached 20 years with all signs of puberty (simple features like- facial hair, genital growth, masculine voice etc) then at this stage treating him with Growth Hormone will be waste of time, money and hopes.
If your son does not have puberty/ maturity signs as listed above, then I hope the Endocrinologist has thoroughly evaluated your son by doing his IGF 1 levels, his other pituitary hormone profile like prolactin levels, LH, FSH, levels, Serum Cortisol levels, FT4 levels to rule out other hormonal issues causing this less height in your son. He should have also seen your son's 'Bone age' by ordering Hand X XXXXXXX
In case of no pubertal progress, and if all these tests have been done then please scan and send them across. Looking at them I can certainly tell you whether there is chance of your son to grow further with the help of Growth Hormone or not.
But in case your son has already attained puberty, please do not waste your money and time over growth Hormone therapy.