Is it ok for the heart rate to reach 207 while using the treadmill? I have high blood pressure.

I am 70 yr old female - today on treadmill my heart rate went to 207 - is this okay - I have High Blood Pressure - taking Toprol and Norvasc
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 26 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

It is common for the heart rate to increase during physical exercise.

The range of maximum heart rate that a person at a age of 70 is from 150 - 220.

In case, you do not have any other symptoms like dizziness, blackouts , weakness fatigue, or palpitations while at rest or sleep , you need not be concerned.

In case you do have such symptoms, evaluation with tests like a EKG, echocardiogram and holter might be helpful to detect the cause of your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.