Is it normal to have swelling and burning in ear in cold environment?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
hi. i just came in from the cold and my ears are swelling and burning up. what id the cause of this and is it permanent?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is normal. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. The changes you describe are the normal response to moving from a cold to a warm environment. When out in the cold, the blood vessels in your ears will constrict in order to conserve heat in your body. When you move into the warmth, these blood vessels will dilate to their normal state and the warm blood will flow back into your ears. You will feel this as a burning sensation and your ears may turn reddish. The increased blood flow will make your ears feel like they are swelling. This state is not permanent and will settle in about half an hour or less. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Follow-up: Is it normal to have swelling and burning in ear in cold environment? 13 minutes later
it has been a couple hours and the swelling remains. what now?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cool compress. Detailed Answer: Hi, I suggest you apply a cool but not cold compress to your ears to soothe them. This should reduce the swelling gradually. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger