Is it normal to have pain and bleeding while loosing virginity?

My new wife bled when I broke her virginity (not too much, but spotty over a day or so and certainly during the act itself), she complained of severe pain and now every time we try she complains of pain so its been a week or so now and we haven't gone all the way again, she still fears sex will be painful, even entering a finger and she complains of pain.
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

It is completely normal for one to complain about pain even after a week or two after hymen rupture. There may even be re-bleed from the torn ends on subsequent attempts.

The vaginal opening gets accommodative on subsequent attempts. Do use XYLOCAINE Jelly during the intercourse. This contains local anesthesia and will minimize the pain. You can stop the jelly after you are sure about her comfort.

If problem continues to persist, you need to consult a gynecologist for careful local examination.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.