Is it normal to get pins and needles in hands and feet?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi my 3 year old daughter keeps getting pins and needles in her hands and feet, it started when she got a gastric tummy bug which went on for a week. Shes is still complaining about her tummy being sick on and off but not vomitting anymore but pins and needles still affecting her, mostly when shes lying or sitting. Are these pins and needles normal??
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The sensation of pins and needles on her hands and feet is not normal and can be caused by abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in her body and a lack of vitamin B12 after an intestinal infection.
Ask her to have a glass of orange juice or any mixed fruit so that if any electrolyte imbalance is there, it will be corrected.
You can also start her with Vitamin B complex supplements and see if there is any improvement. In case the symptoms are persistent then a physician consultation is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Is it normal to get pins and needles in hands and feet? 33 hours later
Thank you that makes sense. She has broken out in chicken pox now I wonder was it connected? Still getting pins and needles but I have her on vitamins now and drinking juice.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Viral infection like chicken pox can cause such nerve related symptoms. The symptoms are likely to subside in 3-4 weeks.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.