Is insertion of drainage tube after a cesarean delivery safe?

My sister has undergone cesarean delivery in the year 2011 (feb), wherein a pipe was inserted to her stomach for 2/3 for the discharge of waste. She had a lot of pain in this procedure. Currently, on (03.02.2014) she has undergone her 2nd cesarean delivery, wherein the same procedure is repeated. Her BP is low & suffering from a lot of pain. This has made her to go through the same unbearable pain what she had in her last delivery. Is this a correct way of discharging the waste . Doctor please guide me for the same.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Tube through the abdominal wall is the CORRECT way Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for your query. The abdomen has a closed/sealed baglike structure, which extends right up to the lower end of pelvis. There is always a collection of infected fluid in this cavity (called peritoneum), following a caesarian section or, any other abdominal surgery. Therefore, a drainage tube is always inserted into the peritoneal cavity to drain the infected fluid. The SAFEST, EASIEST AND MOST CONVENIENT site of inserting the tube is through the abdominal wall AND NO WHERE ELSE. If this fluid is NOT drained completely, it will cause very severe infection, which can even be life-threatening if it spreads to the whole body through the blood circulation. I fully agree with you that the pain caused by the indwelling pipe is quite unbearable. But, the pipe too is very essential. I am sure that her gynecologist must have prescribed anti-inflammatory pain-killers to reduce the pain. If not, consult the treating doctor for the same. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal