Is getting period at the age of 50 OK ?

I am now just 50 years old and my period is now every 56 days, this start 6 months ago, is this normal at my age
Posted Wed, 9 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 32 minutes later

Normally, the female body under the influence of hormones like estrogen and progesterone. The monthly changes takes place and there is cyclical bleeding every month from the age of puberty to menopause. This hormones are produced by ovaries.

As the age advances, hormones production is reduced. After certain age the hormones production stops or become negligible. The age at which this happens is variable and depends upon many factors.

In your case, it seems that menopausal changes are taking place as you are 50 years and hormone levels are declining. This could be a cause for your prolonged periods. In practical terms it can be said that you are approaching menopause and eventually your periods will stop in near future.

Normal age for menopause is 45-55. This is a natural course and there is no need to worry. In case you experience any problems during this process, you can visit gynecologist.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be glad to answer any follow up query that you might have.

Dr. Pragnesh.