Is frequent urination,headaches,fatigue and lower back pain symptoms of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
For the past few days I have had frequent urination and I have been experiencing headaches, fatigue and lower back pain. I notice these symptoms persist around the time my menstrual is due. A similar incident like this happened to me a couple of months ago around the time of my period. I have been for multiple blood tests and have also had an internal pelvic exam which have all come back clear. I was tested for iron deficiency, polysistic ovaries, possible pregnancy and hormonal imbalance. I understand that many women experience symptoms prior to there period but for some reason this year my symptoms have been way out of whack and are affecting my way of life. I have no energy! Whats happening to me? These symptoms make me feel like I'm pregnant but im not trying for a baby. What else could it possible be?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: possibility of premenstrual syndrome Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. According to your history, there is possibility of premenstrual syndrome. The symptoms of premenstrual syndrome differ from person to person and also from cycle to cycle in same person. Taking symptomatic treatment with analgesics can help in relieving headache and backache. If urinary frequency increases once check for urinary tract infection. Following measures can help in relieving the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome: -Reducing intake of caffeine, sodium, sugar etc. Increasing fiber in diet, adequate rest and sleep. -Aerobic exercises -Supplementing calcium, vitamin E, vitamin B6. - Supplements of evening primrose oil. -Anti inflammatory drugs etc can help in relieving the symptoms. If symptoms persist even after taking these drugs, monthly hormonal pills may be needed. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Is frequent urination,headaches,fatigue and lower back pain symptoms of pregnancy? 26 minutes later
Thank-you for your follow up it sounds like I may have a urinary tract infection although I'm not experiencing any burning sensations, just an urge to urinate more frequently than usual but at a smaller output. What would help ease frequent urination and also fatigue ? I exercise regularly, eat a well balanced diet and sleep 8 hours a night and still feel exhausted. Also, how long after after sexual activity can pregnancy symptoms occur? And what are the most likely first symptoms besides a missed period ? Thank-you for your follow up it sounds like I may have a urinary tract infection although I'm not experiencing any burning sensations, just an urge to urinate more frequently than usual but at a smaller output. What would help ease frequent urination and also fatigue ? I exercise regularly, eat a well balanced diet and sleep 8 hours a night and still feel exhausted. Also, how long after after sexual activity can pregnancy symptoms occur? And what are the most likely first symptoms besides a missed period ?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Urine microscopy, culture and sensitivity Detailed Answer: Hi, By undergoing urine microscopy and culture and sensitivity possibility of urinary tract infection can be ruled out. In case of urinary tract infection, you may need one course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs. Usually taking plenty of water like 4 to 5 liters per day and regularly voiding the urine in every 2 to 3 hours will decrease the possibility of infection and relieve the symptoms. As all your blood tests are normal there is less possibility for anemia or thyroid hormonal abnormalities etc as cause for your fatigue. Taking multivitamin and minerals tablets can help sometimes. The onset of early pregnancy symptoms differ from person to person. Usually after two weeks of intercourse pregnancy symptoms start in many women. Symptoms like nausea, vomitings, bloating sensation of abdomen, weakness, giddiness, breast tenderness etc can be seen in early pregnancy. Take care.