Is epilepsy associated with weak legs?

my mother has weak legs especially left leg. it started from a week ago. got worse each day after. She feel very tired and does not want to walk. She start has some memory issue a few month ago. She has urinary urgency in a couple of weeks. Based on the blood test and urine test result, she has infection. She did take antibiotic and will be checked again next week. Her Neurology doctor in china suggested that she has Epilepsy. actually, she did have the disease back in 2009. She took carbamzepine for more than half years. Although the doctor mentioned that she need on this medicine for very long time. She decided to not take it any more after 7 or 8 months. now She just start to take carbamazepine yesterday again. However, today, she feel that her leg still got worse than yesterday. Additional information, she has brain tumor (top-right side) identified a few year ago (2007), re-checked after a year later, no change on size. my mother's age is 70 (just had birthday a few days ago). any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 27 hours later

There are a lot of age related changes that happen in human body and we need to adapt accordingly.

Considering your mothers' age, it is normal that she feels weak on her legs especially on her left leg.

It most commonly occurs due to age related or Senile Osteoarthritis.

It happens due to wear and tear that happens as age progresses.

You can give her Calcium supplements to enhance her bone strength, also she should not do too much of physical exertion.

Regarding her memory loss, you should not worry much since this is also age related degeneration of the nervous system and the chemicals in it. It is commonly known as Alzeimer's disease.

You can give her Neurotropins like vitamin B12 and folic acid, also Neurobion forte.

Her urinary symptoms are related to infection and likely to respond with antibiotics.

As she is on carbamazepine, I would suggest to check for serum sodium levels, Comprehensive blood analysis would include complete blood count, LFTs-liver function tests, blood glucose, blood urea, serum creatinine and serum electrolytes.

In view of past history of brain tumour, it will be worthwhile to have MRI /CT evaluation now.

Also get her Blood pressure checked.

Hope my suggestions will help you.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Wishing your mother and you good health.