Is duphaston safe to consume during first trimester?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Can i know duphaston 10mg is safe to consume during first trimester? Read on the internet it was banned in American but my doctor gave me this few months ago. Please advise what is best to take for secure pregnancy. Thanks
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
NO CONCLUSIVE STUDIES, DO NOT WORRY IF USED.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Duphaston contains Dyhydrogesterone, which is a type of progesterone preparation, containing a hormone that supports the growing pregnancy.
It is indicated and generally given to patients with a history of previous abortions and miscarriages, and with a risk of miscarriage in the current pregnancy.
Countries like the USA, Canada, Australia and even UK do not approve the use of Duphaston during pregnancy for this indication, however it is routinely prescribed in India during the first trimester of pregnancy.
There are no conclusive studies which prove that Duphaston causes any harm to the unborn baby if consumed during pregnancy.
This subject is still a grey area of research, however, as it is not supported by major countries, I would not recommend it to a patient.
There are safer alternatives containing progesterone, which can be given for the same purpose.
However, if you have already taken Duphaston, do not worry, as I said earlier, there are no proved side effects on the fetus.
Take care, and feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Is duphaston safe to consume during first trimester? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor, thanks for your reply. This Duphaston i took it last four months and my baby died with cleft palate found which i had mentioned to you the other day. As i search online today in MD web says it can caused cleft with consumption of Duphaston. attached found in website for your info. Mean time your 5-MTHF is folate right? So if im taking iberet 500 contain forlic acid of 800mcg and this 5-MTHF in future together recommended or not? Your advise is really appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:

I have not received any attachment.

Please send it , as I would like to go through it.

As I said, I would not recommend it to a patient, as it has plausible ( possible ) association with certain defects in the baby, including cleft palate.

However, there is no CONCLUSIVE study that convincingly says that this is the case.
Also, no baby dies of only cleft palate.

There have to be associated anomalies which are life threatening.

There could be various other causes such as chromosomal disorders ( syndromes ), intake of teratogenic drugs, deficiency of folic acid, smoking etc.
Please consult a Fetal Medicine expert to know the exact cause.
Diabetes, hypothyroidism in the mother should be ruled out.

The fetus should have been sent for detailed examination and biopsy.
5- MHTF is the active metabolite of folic acid.

You can take Iberet 500, however ideally 5 mg of folic acid per day is recommended in women who have had a child with previous birth defects.

Follow-up: Is duphaston safe to consume during first trimester? 7 hours later
Hi Doctor

I thought you are Doctor XXXXXXX as she answered my past question. She recommended me to consume 5-MHTF. My pregnancy end on week 25 as my baby do not have a heartbeat and have a cleft pallate with only Single umbilical cord. I am afraid for next pregnancy will happen with SUA again. Is that my womb/uterus problem to supply only SUA? Ok attached fyi. You may log to website and type this Duphaston and lots comment appear. Thank you

Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:
Hello
The recurrence rate of single umbilical artery is less than 1 %, unless it is part of a known chromosomal disorder.
So you have excellent chances of having a normal baby the next time.
I hope your fetus was sent for detailed chromosomal analysis.
Duphaston is reported to have associations with anomalies, but there is NO direct scientific study regarding the same.
You should wait for atleast 6 months before planning your next pregnancy and take 5 - MHTF or equivalent of 5 mg. folic acid per day ( Folvite is a suggested brand ), before planning your next pregnancy.
All the best.

Follow-up: Is duphaston safe to consume during first trimester? 20 hours later
Dear Doctor

Thanks :) they did not send my feotus for test. Only take my blood but no result so far. Thank you

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
DETAILED BELOW

Detailed Answer:

It is always better to send the fetus for detailed testing.
However, do not stress out.

And do not let this event disturb your mind and body.
Take the medication as advised, and plan for pregnancy after 6 months.
All the best.

Please feel free to discuss with me anytime.

I wish you lots of luck and happiness.

Dear Doctor

They only gave me consume antibiodics for two weeks and i had it finished. No other medicine given to me. Please advise what should i start to consume? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TESTS AS SUGGESTED

Detailed Answer:
You can take folic acid 5 mg per day.

Apart from that, I recommend my patients with similar presentation to test for
1. Diabetes
2. Hypothyroidism
3. Hypertension
4. Screening for rubella, cytomegalovirus, herpes, toxoplasmosis
5. Blood grouping of husband and wife, and viral markers - HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C
6. Fetal autopsy if possible
7. Screening for antiphospholipid antibodies

Your doctors will know about these tests.

Follow-up: Is duphaston safe to consume during first trimester? 50 minutes later
Thank you i will get back to you after done

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
-

Detailed Answer:
All the best dear.