Is discomfort and pain in left side caused due to fibroids and cysts?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I had a ultrasound and they discovered fibroids and today I had a scan and discovered right cyst that is 3.4. My left side is hurting and it hurts only when I get up. When I am laying in bed, I don't feel pain but a little discomfort. Can I have fibroids and cysts and what is the next step?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: size Detailed Answer: Hi Please send me more details about size of fibroid. Also send me details of cyst. If possible please upload scan pictures. I would give detailed reply seeing ultrasound scan reports. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Is discomfort and pain in left side caused due to fibroids and cysts? 13 hours later
Since I went to two different hospitals. One on XXXXXXX 8th where they said it was a fibroid and that was the reason I was bleeding heavily - I don't have a report on that On Janu 24 yesterday, they told me that I have thickwalled 3.4 right ovarian cyst possibly a corpus luteum or hemorrahagic syst on my kidneys/ureters I have multiple bilateral simple cysts. largest in the left pole measuring 3.5cm no hydronephrosis. no evidence for solid mass lesion pelvis uterus is normal adnex there is a thick walled cystic lesion in the right mesur 3.4cm left appears unremarkable bladder normal gi tract normal colon rectum there is a sigmoid diverticulosis. no evidence of diverticulitis vessels normal lymp nodes normal Why am I in still in a lot of pain when I get up. It progresses from level 1 pain to a 7. I am only trying to find out an answer. the doctor could not have an explanation and when I asked if he can guess, he said it would be cancer. I just want an honest opinion based on this findings. I cannot get you the ultrasound that told me that I have fibroids, but can c scan better than ultrasounds?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: report Detailed Answer: Hi I need fibroid size to check if it is large enough to cause pain. Fibroids do cause excess bleeding and pain if they are larger than 3 cm in size and more common with submucous variety of fibroid. Your ovarian cysts are not cause for pain. They dont seem to be cancerous either. Hence no need to worry about fibroids. Diverticulosis in sigmoid could also be cause of pain. I suggest you get CT Scan done which will define size of fibroid as well as diverticulosis. Let me reassure you that this is not a major illness. I request you to see a surgeon and a gynecologist with your CT Scan report. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Is discomfort and pain in left side caused due to fibroids and cysts? 23 hours later
According to the C scan that was done on XXXXXXX 24, it did not stipulate that I have fibroids. I was bleeding heavily on January 6,7 and 8th and that is why I went to a hospital which they did a sonogram and told me it was fibroid and see a gynecologists. On the 24 I went to a different hospital, but not for bleeding, but mainly because the pain had intensify to a 7 (1-10). that were they told me that I did not have fibroids and that I had a cyst in the ovarian on the right side and on the left side was a 3.5 cyst in the kidney/ureters I have multiple bilateral simple cysts. largest in the left pole measuring 3.5cm no hydronephrosis. no evidence for solid mass lesion My problem is that when I get up and dress up that is when it starts to begin and eventually unbearable pain on my left side, which the doctor at the e.r could not understand. those cysts should not be causing discomfort, but they are. I left the e.r without any medication. I see my obgyn on Wednesday what can I do to alleviate the pain in the next few days since I am going to work?

Brief Answer: fibroids Detailed Answer: Hi I believe CT Scan might have missed out small fibroids. Ovarian cysts cannot cause such severe pain. Only option in uterus would be fibroid causing pain and bleeding as you described. Please take antispasmodic prescription from your doctor to reduce pain meanwhile. Let me know if you have any more questions Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol