Is back pain,headache and stabbing pain in armpits a symptom of myositis?

Hi, Im experiencing the most unusual symptoms ive been to A&E twice with the problem, however the symptoms have gone down thus far 4 weeks on but are still present. Ive been suffering a bit off back pain, i then started to notice a stinging senation or rather needle like stabbing in my armpits. I later was suffering nausea vommitting, with head aches, generally flu type symptoms. These latter few have somewhat gone but the headaches neck and back pain and stabbing under the armpits are still there. In fairness on the last occasion it felt like i had the worst hangover with sore bruised kidney area, i could hardly walk. Nothing came up on the xray and only hightened white blood cell count came up on the blood test which had gone down slightly on the second visit, suggesting a viral infection perhaps? I do feel generally weak and lathargic as well. Any ideas, I was told possibly myositis? Cheers Jon
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

The flu like symptoms along with neck and back pain with stabbing under armpits points towards the symptoms related to the nerves.Your raised white cell count is also indicative of infection. It seems that this infection( could be viral/bacterial) has involved your spinal cord region causing an extra compression on the nerve roots coming out from there , hence is the cause of pain.

You now need to have your spinal fluid examined for any infections and get an MRI of spinal cord done to see any fluid accumulation inside the cord or any nerve root compression.

I suggest you see a Neurologist/ Orthopedic Surgeon for an examination and further investigations.

Without an examination and investigations it would be difficult to say if it could be myositis.Though it could be a possibility considering there is a presence of infection.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.