Is an irritable cough related to a possible high BP from being physically active?

ENT Specialist
I am overweight and work full time. I am on my feet and do a lot of walking at work. I often get an irritable cough which is very hard to ease. I have had my blood pressure checked once at work after being busy. It was 160/105. My normal BP at the GP afetr sitting is 130/90. Is the cough related to a possible high BP from being physically active?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The increased blood pressure you had during your busy schedule could be due to the stress at that point of time, which is confirmed with the examination by your doctor.

As you have already mentioned that you are over-weight and added to it the stress and the physical activity at your work place, could cause shortness of breath and induce cough. But, this type of cough due to the above cause is transient and passes of with the time. Well, the other probable cause could be due to the dust or cool temperature maintained at your work place which leads to allergy induced cough.

You need to consult a good chest physician to rule out allergic bronchitis, this is one condition where the cough remains for a long duration. You would require a course of antihistaminic with cough suppressants to treat this. Apart from the medicines, try changing the place of work or go on a holiday for few days. This will provide you a good opportunity to keep away from the stress as well as the allergens.

Hope I have answered your query: If you have any more queries you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.