Is an enlarged right atrium the only thing I need watch with isolated tricuspid regurgitation?

Apr 2014

Is an enlarged right artruim the only thing I need to watch with isolated tricuspid regurgitation ?
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Right atrium is not the only part involved in TR. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I presume that detailed workup has been already done. You didn't mentioned that TR(tricuspid regurgitation)is due to tricuspid valve involvement or due to problem in right ventricle.It may also be due to left side valve or ventricle problem.Cause of TR should be confirmed. Besides dilatation of right atrium,it also causes right sided failure and can result into hepatic congestion,edema,ascitis and even cirrhosis in chronic volume overload. It can also cause pulmonary hypertension in chronic cases. So,you should have regular checkup by cardiologist and if there is any problem,it should be treated immediately. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX