Is a gland infection or cancer causing soreness in left breast with nipple erection ?

Question
I am 27 years old & not sexually active. About three or four days ago I have noticed that my XXXXXXX gland in my left breast has gotten sore and infammed. My nipple gets erected easily from walikng while my the other one does not. I will be starting my period at the end of the month and I am not breast feeding. Is my gland infected or could it be cancer?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 25 minutes later

If your left breast is painful and tender to touch along with redness and warm on touch usually suggests infection.

It would require antibiotic coverage.

It is wise to consult a general surgeon, since it needs good local examination and might have to go for few investigations post examination and later come to a conclusive diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Only after this it can be treated.

Follow-up: Is a gland infection or cancer causing soreness in left breast with nipple erection ? 13 hours later
It is not warm to a touch and the pain seems to be coming from a inflammed XXXXXXX galnd on areola of my breast. Could it possible be something else? Like a clogged gland? Or maybe some sort of irritation?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 15 minutes later

Nice to see you again.

All the symptoms need not be present at a time.

There could be many other possibilities as you thought since areola is XXXXXXX in sweat and sebaceous glands.

If it was irritation it would be due to some unknown trauma or insect bite and you might experience more itching and it would be a superficial lesion rather than a swelling.

Since it needs good physical examination consult a surgeon.

Till then you can take analgesics and anti histaminics like Advil and Allerest if you have pain or itching analgesics are also of greater help if it is inflammatory superficial reaction.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Is a gland infection or cancer causing soreness in left breast with nipple erection ? 15 hours later
Is there such thing as abreast surgeon? Do I have to see a general practice doctor before I see a surgeon? I do not have insuramce so who could I talk to in Chicago?

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 13 hours later

You need to consult a general surgeon and not a physician since it is a surgical condition.

You stated that you do not have insurance, but try to consult your nearby surgeon by taking help of some friends.

Hope I have answered your query.