Is Urticaria completely curable?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
My wife has been suffering from Articaria since 2011. Till now she is 80% cure.But 20% not. Alopathy and Homeopathy treatment is going on. Will it be curable?
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide the details Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posing your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the urticaria problem in your wife. The part of history is though helpful but not conclusive enough to guide you to best suggestions and possibilities of complete remission. I request you to provide some details like: - Had there been any change in the urticaria- as reduction or aggravation or complete disappearance and then reappearance. Kindly provide a brief history about its evolution and further changes in two years. - Severity of itching in urticaria- mild/ moderate/ severe/ very severe. - Number of urticarial patches occurring in a day/ once a while in week or months. - Elaboration of dosage of medicines - is she taking Libotryp DS and Alaspan eery day or alternate day. Waiting for your reply so that I can guide you further. Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)

Follow-up: Is Urticaria completely curable? 1 hour later
Sir, We have come back from a tour to Nainital on Oct'11. After coming back within 2-3 days itching was started from her head to whole body. And Very big patches formed in her body and lasts for 2 days. Then it disappeard automatically. Again afetr 1 day it appeared. The patches were big in size.Then We have Consulted with a doctor and made allergy profile test and took medicines according to he doctor. But nothing was happen. Then Daily patches were appeared. This story lasts for 6 months. Then we have consulted with Dr. XXXXXXX Malakar (MD). He did Lipid profile test and Thyroid test.But both the reports were normal. So, under his treatment she cured 80%.But last 6 months no improvement. Now the patches are coming once in a week and lasts for 1 whole day.Now the patches are small in size. Itching is very severe. Dosage- Libotryp DS+Alaspan (1+1) tab in the morning and (1+1)tab in the evening. Some behavioural changes of my wife I have noticed that she quickly gets angry and irritate. Please help. Regards XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly see the detailed mail. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for posting important details. before I proceed further let you understand about your wife’s problem. To tell you Medically - Our blood contains multiple type cells including red blood cells and white blood cells. Specifically these white blood cells provide immunity to our body which are of further multiple types. Whenever anything in body is not suitable or offending to body then the number of white blood cells increases transiently. Particularly these cells which increase are eosinophils and basophils which are also known as mast cells. These cells contain granules which have a specific chemical known as histamine. So as soon as any offending factors come in contact there is bursting of the mast cells. There fore this histamine is released and we experience variable degree of itching and the kind of bumps which we can see in your wife. The bumps can remain for a very transient period to upto multiple hours. It can remain for more than 12 hours too depending on the intensity of the offending factor but never more than 24 hours. Now the type of offending factor are innumerable including our food, environmental factors including temperature variation, heat, humidity, cold, dust and even simple of fragrances in air and multiple of other related things. In your wife’s case as these are present mainly on trunk region so most probably it may be related to environmental factors or any contact allergen. You check out for any change in all the factors during preceding last two hours before the bumps. For the treatment part - it is quite simple and treated with drugs which inhibits the histamine release also known as Antihistamines. The treatment provided to your wife is excellent. Your wife is prescribed with loratadine which is most favored drugs for the treatment. I myself prefer Loratadine ( Alaspan or Lorfast) in my patients as it is very simple medicine without any side effects of sedation. In my patients I start with 2 tablets/day, as soon as good effect is maintained then reduce to one in few weeks and then alternate days in next few weeks. Once there are no lesions/bumps for few weeks then taper off to 2-3 tablets per week for few months and then stop it. libotryp ds in urticaria is though not the mainstay of therapy but can be used as adjuvant therapy and it is a mood stabilizer too. I do not prefer to give this medication and believe in single drug administration. Your wife’s mood changes are just a part of anxiety and stress which she is undergoing from last two years. In general urticaria may remain for few months to upto a year period but sometimes it may progress even longer than that too. In most of the cases as our immune system and body get adjusted to that particular offending factor so it then self subsides. You explain your wife the whole series of things patiently and give her the best support. I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay MD - Dermatology

Follow-up: Is Urticaria completely curable? 11 hours later
Sir, I have a question. Already 2 years gone with the diesease. So, can you tell me how many days it requires to be fully cured? And any medicinal or diet suggession from your end to get well soon? Regards XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly see the detailed mail. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your futher query. Let you again understand one basic thing that your wife is not suffering form a disease per say. It is only a part of immune response to a particular thing which is still causing release of histamine form the immune cells. In my patients, I first of all reassure to them that they are not suffering from any disease in the case of urticaria. It’s only a part of better immune function. So, till the time body considers that particular factors as nonself, there would be eruptions. There is no sure shot time to designate how log this may last. There is no particular dietary modification. Only part is that your wife has to make a diary to check out for any change in all the factors during preceding last two hours before the bumps. It will give a tentative idea regarding the offending factors and accordingly those factors can be avoided. Let your wife get a proper explanation of this problem and a good motivation from your side which will sole half of her problem. I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay MD (Dermatology)