Is Myelodysplasia the same as Myelodysplastic & how is it treated

Is myelodysplasia the same as myelodysplastic & how is it treated. Thank you
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usually not considered treatable sir, sorry Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Myelodysplasia means dysfunctional blood cells and the conditions which result from this are called myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS). There are various conditions under this category [eg. refractory anemia with ringed sideroblasts (RARS), refractory cytopenia with unilineage dysplasia (RCUD), etc.]. If you could write back to me with a more specific diagnosis I could help you with treatment options of that particular type of MDS. It is generally considered that there exists no permanent cure for MDS and treatment aims at treating the complications and prolonging life. Usually most effective results are yielded with a bone marrow transplant which is a serious procedure and not easy to come by. I am sorry to inform you about this. I hope you find my response helpful. Looking forward to helping you further. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.