Is Mirtazapine safe for treatment of depression?

hi, I have just been prescribed mirtazapine, my major concern is that I supervise 70 people at work and need to be very punctual and alert & on the ball at all times, i'm concerned I might not be able too. what's your opinion ? thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: There are other options Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Mirtazapine is an antidepressant and it is given for depression. The fact that you have been prescribed antidepressant suggest that probably you are having depression. Depression itself reduces the concentration and reduces the productivity itself. Hence it has to be treated. Coming to the choice of antidepressant, there are different options and all of them are more or less equally efficacious. Mirtazapine is a good drug but it has sedation as a side-effect profile. Although the occurance of sedation is not uniform and will occur only among some of them taking it. Moreover it cannot be predicted. You may start the treatment and if its is sedative for you then you may stop it. If you are very conscious of the possible side-effect, then the other option is fluoxetine or bupropion which are non-sedating antidepressants. You may try them as well instead of mirtazapine. All said i would suggest you to take it and see, and if at all you are having sedation then you may discontinue it. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.