Is HCG diet safe? Prescription needed for inhaler? Taking medication for bipolar disorder, thyroid replacement hormone. Drug interactions?

Have you heard of the hcg diet? Are the drops safe? Do you need a prescription for the inhaler. I am on medication for bipolar disorder and I am on thyroid replacement hormone. Are there any drug Interactions?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hcg diet is a very low calorie diet with only 500 calories per day. If you are planning to reduce your weight then let me inform you that slow and steady weight loss of no more than 1-2 pounds per week is the safest way to lose weight. Too rapid weight loss can cause you to lose muscle rather than fat. It also increases your chances of developing other problems, such as gallstones and nutrient deficiencies.
hCG diet is known to suppress the hunger and other symptoms and signs of hunger, so that one can have a very low calorie diet. But, you need to know that excess weight loss by 'starvation' can cause a fatty liver and probably more liver damage as well as increase the risk of heart disease theoretically. Some research support increased risk of liver cancer though there is no conclusive evidence.

Hcg drops are not the hormone Hcg. These are some herbal or homeopathic preparation whose composition has not been disclosed. Such products have been advertised widely and its exact composition and ingredients have not been specified.
Similarly there are no rational drug trials available to test its efficacy, safety and interactions with other drugs. The interactions and side effects of a substance is known only by controlled trials which have not been done on such products. There complete harmful effects on the body are not yet known and are difficult to predict.

It is not advisable to take any such product while you are taking thyroid hormone and anti psychotic drugs.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.