Is Bilirubin cout of 2.4 normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I am having bilirubin cout 2.4 and sgpt and sgot are akso above normal range. ultrasound says mild fatigue lever. any issues
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. I suppose your total bilirubin level is 2.4 mg/ dl which is slightly above normal. The SGPT and SGOT levels are also above normal. Your ultrasound scan shows mild fatty liver. The raised total bilirubin, SGPT and SGOT point towards a problem of your liver which may be due to an infection or obstruction to the flow of bile. As ultrasound scan does not show any biliary obstruction or stone, causes like infection of liver may be evaluated in detail. The fatty liver means that there is more amount of fat in your liver. I suggest you consult your doctor and take proper medications. Also stay away from alcohol and oily foods for some days. Drink clean water and avoid outside food. You will get well soon. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Is Bilirubin cout of 2.4 normal? 13 minutes later
I have not touched alcohol in my life. more over by bilirubin count has always been in 2.1 to 2.4 range. around obe year back I visited a gastro and after blood test and ultrasound he said nothing to worry. even that time sgpt and sgot and bil was high. this time during a pre employment check up the count shown 2.4 and the hold my offer leter for that reason. doctor asked me to take udiliv300. shall icontinue having it. pkease suggest or any other medicines

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back with an update. There are conditions like Gilbert's syndrome and congenital unconjugated hyperbilirubinemia which are harmless and do not need nay specific treatment. You may discuss these with your gastroenterologist. Try to decrease amount of carbohydrates in your diet. Udiliv300 is a good menication and please continue taking it. For employment clearance, I suggest you take consultation from government hospital gastroenterologist and medicine specialist and take fitness certificate from them. It should be acceptable for your job. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Is Bilirubin cout of 2.4 normal? 6 hours later
thanks Dr. Need few more clarifications. From childhood itself I am suffering from itching. I am not allergic to specific substances but spontaneously itching will start and once after its settles down no marks will be there ib the body. is this becuse of high bilirubin count. also can you suggest a diet for me. I think it is beter to as per a diet. pls help

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back with an update. It is likely that itching is caused by increased bilirubin in your body. Apply calamine lotion on the itching areas. Talking about your diet, please do the following: 1. About 40 percent of the diet should consist of raw fruits and vegetables with an emphasis on green leafy vegetables. 2. Drink eight glasses of water daily. Purified water with lemon is also excellent. 3. Avoid – all processed and refined foods, refined sugars, refined carbohydrates and industrial seed oils. 4. Avoid overeating; eat small regular meals. 5. Avoid hydrogenated fats in cooking. 6. Avoid artificial sweeteners Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek