Is 2mg per day of alprazolam tablet lethal?

Is 2mg per day of Alprazolam Tablet lethal?

I'm using Anxinil Tablets from Ranbaxy for Stress Relief.

Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 23 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The alprazolam is not fatal in 2mg/day dose rather it can be used upto 4mg/day if required but the dose you are taking is fairly high dose and can cause physical dependence and other systemic side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, ataxia, impairment of judgement etc. so you should take this medicine only in supervision of a physician of your locality.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: Is 2mg per day of alprazolam tablet lethal? 16 hours later

What is the remedy for Over dosage?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
Avoiding high doses is apparently the most effective and straightforward treatment.
If some body has already taken large amount then a thick tube is inserted through the nose in the ER of a hospital and a gavage and lavage procedure is done where water in given in from tube and aspirated out to remove excess drug in stomach.
There is an antidote called flumazenil which is more of a diagnostic rather than treatment and is used only by experienced physicians in controlled environments of hospital.
Wish you a great health!