Irregular period started after failed IVF. Should I be concerned?

Mar 2013
Hi dr,

Ever since my 2nd failed IVF last year, my period has been extremely irregular. Some months would be 40-45 days, some 50-56/58 days. This feb, my period suddenly became 26days ( never happened before ).

In addition, my flow has been really light ( I had much heavier flow before i started ivf ). They only lasts 3 days.

Should I be concerned and go for a check up again?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 19 minutes later
It would help me greatly if you provide me further details.
Your medical problems which necessitated an IVF, since you are only 31.
Irregular cycles are known to be caused by stress, anxiety, emotional upheavals, hectic travelling, rapid and massive fluctuations in weight, ingestion of hormonal medications etc.
Pathological conditions include polycystic ovaries, thyroid , adrenal or prolactin hormone disturbances, endometrial hyperplasia, premature ageing of the ovaries etc.
Irregular cycles are generally prolonged, however rarely you might have an abnormally early period too.
Any kind of deviation from the normal pattern warrants investigation.
I would advise you to have a check up with your Gynecologist.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Irregular period started after failed IVF. Should I be concerned? 12 minutes later
Hi dr,

Thank you for your reply.

I had to undergo IVF because my husband has extremely low sperm count and my gynae suggested either we continue to just try naturally or opt for IVF. I had my check up done also before and I was healthy and ovulating regularly.
I also had been having abt 35-40 days cycle rather consistently before I started on the treatment.

After my first failed ivf, my period somehow gotten a little more regular, abt 30 days, sometimes 30-33/35. Flow was still normal.

However, after my 2nd ivf, everything has changed (as mentioned in my first question). Could it be due to overdose of progesterone given to me? I was administered any of that during my first IVF.

Regarding the long cycles, does that mean that is is normal to have a 50days cycle? Does the very light blood flow than usual indicates absence of ovulation?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
It is not normal to have a 50 day cycle, though if you consistently have a 35 - 40 day cycle, that is normal, if it is the norm always.
Scanty and prolonged periods indicate any of the conditions that i listed above.
Yes, it could indicate lack of ovulation due to polycystic ovaries or due to diminished ovarian reserve.
The progesterone given during IVF has a transient effect, and cannot cause long term menstrual abnormalities.
Follow-up: Irregular period started after failed IVF. Should I be concerned? 11 minutes later
Hi Dr,

What could cause PCO? I am just very puzzled as I was just fine with regular periods before my 2nd IVF and concern if that has anything to do with it?

And also, I have been having on off cramps and aching and feeling like my period is going to come but yet to have it. I am also feeling some 'stretching/pulling' sensation down my vagina area. Is that normal before the period comes? And is it also normal not to have any soreness/tenderness in my breast?

Thank you for taking time to reply!
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Firstly, please confirm the diagnosis of PCO.
It is a disorder of unknown etiology, that is, the reason is not known.
IT is basically a derangement of hormonal levels, resulting in irregular cycles and difficulty in ovulation.
The symptoms you describe are normal pre menstrually, and breast tenderness is not a must.
I mention again that drugs and medications used in IVF, that too, just one attempt, have no long term effects.
Thank you for the appreciation.