Irregular heart beats, have calcium build up. Stress test clear. Should I go for nuclear test?

Hi im a 42 yr old male that had a irregular heartbeat of 185 and had a conversion but still feel weird heart beats sometimes.
I had a stress test & it came back normal now im looking to have a nuclear stress test because im scared but my cardiologist thinks that I will not have a heart attack I had a healthy heart scan & it was in the 500 range and said I had calcium buildup would you recommend a nuclear stress test to get a clear picture of any problems
I feel great during the day when im during my 3.5 mile walk etc I have no problems but at night when I sleep I have weird chest beats.
I take pacerone and was thinking my heart rate may be to low it goes from 48 to 51 bpm usually at rest.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Dear Sir
Welcome to HeathcareMagic,

1. I guess you got Atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat of 185) and you are presently taking paceron (amiodarone) for the same.
2. Your cardiac scan (hopefully ECHO) was healthy or normal.
3. You had a normal stress test.
4. You do not feel any problem during your walk of 3.5 miles.
5. You feel weird heart beats at times.

Can you answer a few questions:
A. Technically was it diagnosed as Atrial fibrillation only?
B. By "scan" you mean ECHO only? What was the stress test done?
C. What is the Dose of paceron that you are taking? Are you taking any other medicine?

If one of your stress test is normal (without any doubts), then there is no point in getting another stress test (nuclear stress test) done.
Your cardiologist is right in telling that since your one stress test is normal you do not have a significant blockade as yet.
Weird Heart beats can have multiple forms but most commonly they are premature contractions. You may get a holter monitor after discussing with your cardiologist to know the exact rhythm. If you do not have any bothersome symptoms because of them, you can wait for results of holter to decide further treatment for it.

Please do write to me about the questions I asked, I will be glad to discuss further.
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX