Irregular bowel movements with floating yellow string, gas pressure, taking fish oil. What is the problem?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello Dr.
I'm 22 years old, 6 feet 4 inches tall, 165lbs and have nothing in my medical history except reconstructive jaw surgery when I was 15. The only thing I am taking is fish oil capsules. For about 3 months now I have been experiencing weird bowel movements. Usually I will have a movement and it seems okay, but then a few hours later I have this feeling of a lot of gas pressure and feel like I have to go again. When I do, it's hardly anything but pretty explosive. It's also accompanied by yellow/whitish string looking things that float. The stool itself is solid but looks very mushy and sometimes looks like it has fur. I've tried eating lots of yogurt but it doesn't seem to help. I have gone 2 or 3 days with normal bowel movements but then it comes back. Just curious what this could be. Thank you very much.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 40 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of mucus in stools, and malabsorption either due to infection of the gastrointestinal tract ( parasitic or bacterial) or any inflammatory disorder of the gut, or stress related take a fibre XXXXXXX diet and plenty of water, and avoid caffeinated products, smoking or alcohol and stress and anxiety.Try to exercise daily or atleast brisk walk for half an hour.
If the symptoms persist then it is more likely to be infectious or inflammatory and you need to consult your physician or a gastroenterologist who wil conduct detailed history and examination
and the most important a stool routine test to look for pus cells/occult blood and mucus/
organisms in your stool.Based on that he may arrive at a diagnosis and start appropriate
I do understand that you feel quite normal in between those bouts and that you do not have
diarrhea , thats the reason I told you to try lifestyle modification first and wait for a couple of weeks.but at the same time you should not neglect your symptoms since they have been long standing and you should seek medical consultation to avoid any risk of delay in diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.
I ll be available for your follow up queries.