Intermittent pinprick sensation in ribs, overweight with type 2 diabetes and blood pressure. Treatment?

Today I have had an intermittent pinprick sensation in my upper right quadrant right below my ribs. It felt so much like a pinprick that I checked several times to see if a pin was actually poking me. But I found no pin.

I am 47, overweight withType 2 diabetes, which is well-controlled. I have well-controlled high blood pressure. I am also status post thyroidectomy.

Thanks for your help.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 52 minutes later

What you are having is probably due to some form of nerve irritation in the area. At times due to any reason when the never gets irritated it leads this kind of sensation in the area that it supplies.

In few cases some form of viral infection like herpes zoster can present like this, in such case the vesicles (skin lesions) might come couple of days later. This is common diabetics.

Do not worry, just wait.

Simple never irritation will go on its own. If you notice some form of redness in the area or skin lesions come please see your doctor.

In mean time you can apply some moisturizer over the area for some relief.

I hope this helps.