Ingrown hair between vagina and thigh. Why does it burst and come back? Had lletz surgery. What is wrong?

Hi, I have had an ingrown hair on the left side of my body between my upper thigh and vaginal area approx 2 years ago that happened to burst and heal by itself after a couple of weeks. Over the last year and a half I have now started to get them on the right side, no where near as bad as the left but it always seems to burst and come back. The area which was swollen was approx 3cm long the length of my vagina. The swollen areas seem to have a white head like a pimple most the time. I have recently hade the lletz surgery and since then it seems to be like a small open wound, it stings And bleeds/seeps a lot! I do not believe anything was done while I had the lletz surgery but I'm not sure what's wrong, please help if you can. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 35 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

What you are suffering from may be pseudo folliculitis and furuncle.

This is very common in people who have ingrown hair.

I suggest you to apply bactroban ointment twice daily over the swelling.

You will be fine in a week or so.

To prevent recurrence you may apply the same ointment daily at night in the nares, umbilicus,
Axilla and periungual areas.
Another option is to get laser hair reduction which is a long term solution for this problem.

I hope I have answered your query.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask
Follow-up: Ingrown hair between vagina and thigh. Why does it burst and come back? Had lletz surgery. What is wrong? 19 minutes later
Thank you for your fast answer!
Would I buy this ointment from a chemist or would I need a prescription?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 18 hours later
I think you will be able to get it directly from the chemist.