Information on Crohn's disease?

Yes do you know anything about chrons disease
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Crohn's disease is a highly vast topic to discuss. What I would like to do is to highlight to you all the major points regarding it and after you read them you could ask me doubts.

1. Crohn's is a part if inflammatory bowel disease.

2. It affects the gastro intestinal tract right from the mouth to the anus.

3. It is chronic illness just like hypertension and diabetes. It can be brought under control but not cured completely. Acute exacerbations are very well known.

4. The symptoms most commonly faced are Abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and weight loss with loss of appetite. It is also sometimes associated with skin rashes and joint pains. In some people skin rashes appear before any abdominal symptoms.

5. Complications include stricture, fissures, people with crohn's are more prone for intestinal cancer, bowel obstructions, perforations.

6. Diagnosis is mostly based on colonoscopy and colonoscopic biopsy of the affected tissue.

7. Causes of crohn's disease is multifactorial including genetics, environmental factors and also microbial involvement.

8. Treatment includes lifestyle modification of diet, medications such as steroids and immunomodulators. Surgery is advised either to treat or prevent the above mentioned complications.

These are the few points, I have put across to you. If you have any more specific queries, you can forward it to me.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have ho follow up queries.