Infant's poop was yellow and green and consistently plentiful. Normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hello. My 2.5 week old son's poop was yellow and green tonight. It was green/blue a few times in first week but consistently plentiful and yellow for the last week. Fewer dirty diapers today, plenty of wet. Is color normal?
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Variation in stool color is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

In the newborns in first week of like the stool will be initially black which turns into green to yellow gradually.

By the second week stool becomes yellow and the consistency is semi liquid to semi solid.

There is variation in the stool color of newborn babies which may range from yellow to green and it can be taken as normal thing.

Is the child on exclusive breast feeds now?

If the baby is active, taking feeds well, and passing urine in adequate amounts like 8 to 10 times per day, then nothing to worry about the color and consistency of stool.

The passage of stool frequency will be more in the first month of life and the frequency will decrease during the second month in exclusively breastfeed babies.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infant's poop was yellow and green and consistently plentiful. Normal? 16 minutes later
Yes, exclusive breast feeding. At least 8-10 wet diapers a day. Also, lots of dirty mustard seedy yellow diapers. I just noticed fewer dirty diapers today (just as many wet, plenty of good sized dirty stools, but fewer small dirty stools) and then green one tonight.
Also, I have a big milk supply

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry, continue exclusive breast feeds.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

I congratulate and appreciate you for feeding the baby with exclusive breast feeds.

Wet diapers of 8 to 10 times per day is a good sign of baby hydration and it indicates intake of adequate feeds by the baby.

Frequent semi loose stools are common in babies who are on exclusively breastfeeds during the first month. The stool becomes soft with paste consistency with decreased frequency from 2nd month onwards.

If the stool frequency is not coming down, or if the baby passes loose watery stools with mucus or blood streaks consult the pediatrician for medication.

Continue to give exclusive breast feeds and monitor the baby hydration status by the frequency of urination.

Observe the child for watery loose stools, foul smelling, mucus, or blood streaks and if you find any of these, consult the pediatrician for medication advise with oral probiotics.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infant's poop was yellow and green and consistently plentiful. Normal? 2 hours later
All seems well so far. He is having fewer stools. Yellow since last post. Also, sometimes a bit stringy. Normal!?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Its ok.

Diarrhea due to infections is uncommon in newborns who take exclusive breast feeds because of anti infective properties of mother milk.

As he is well and having fewer stools and stool is yellow, nothing to worry.

Green color stools and semi liquid stools are normal during first month of life.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infant's poop was yellow and green and consistently plentiful. Normal? 3 minutes later
Stringy is normal?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A little bit of stringy stool is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Little bit of stringy, seedy with a mild odor stools are normal in newborn babies.

But watch for foul smelling, frothy stools, and stools with excess amounts of mucus and blood streaks. If you find this type of stool, consult the pediatrician for medication advise.

Regards.