Infant having fever and vomiting. Has high WBC and positive leuk est in urine. Prescribe cefixime

Hello Doctor.

I have a baby girl 5 month old. She has WBC 17.9 and has large (+++) leuk est in the urine. Doctor sent the urine for culture and gave her a shot of ceftriaxone and prescribed cefixime and said she probably has UTI. May I wait till Monday when we have her urine results and not to give her medicine. Yesterday she had a fever of 102 and has been vomiting.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

I am sorry that your daughter is unwell.
At 5 mths old, your daughter's immune system is not fully developed and she is unable to fight off any infection effectively, she would need all the help she can get and this would mean the antibiotics.
At her age, if it is not appropriately treated there is the potential that the infection can spread from the bladder and cause damage to her kidneys.

The presence of the very high white blood cells and the white blood cells (leucocytes) in the urine make it very likely that she has a urinary tract infection.

It would be in her best interest for her to have the antibiotics.

You must weigh the benefits and the risks. The benefits- the antibiotics would treat any infection present and would make her feel better, right now the little one may not be feeling well.
The risk- there is a small risk of side effects from the medication but this risk is small compared to the risk of an untreated infection

I hope this helps and your daughter feels better soon
Please feel free to ask any other questions