Infant has diarrhea and vomiting a gel like substance. Medical cure for this?

Question
my 21 month old son has had a little diaherra and vomiting a gell like substance what could it be? he is acting normal laugning, playing, besides when he vomits this substance. it happens every couple hours
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

It is mucus. This is formed from the lining of the respiratory tract, esophagus and stomach.
Is he having any cough? Is he having any wheeze or abnormal sound while breathing or rapid breathing? Is he having cold? (In these conditions the swallowed mucus is vomited out)

Now you should see that you child does not go into dehydration because of loose motions (particularly if they are watery) and vomiting

Monitor for signs of dehydration.
They include
1. Decreased skin turgor
2. Increasing thirst.
3. Sunken eyes.
4. Irritability.
5. Drowsiness.
6. Decreasing passage of urine.

Antiemetics may be required to control vomiting. Oral rehydration solution may be required if loose stools are watery.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Follow-up: Infant has diarrhea and vomiting a gel like substance. Medical cure for this? 3 minutes later
it dosent look like mucus it looks like JELLO. i have 3 kids n this is the !st time i ever saw it. shoulkd he go to a doctor

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 18 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

Sometimes thick mucus from respiratory tract (coughed in and swallowed) or from the gastrointestinal tract may look like that.

I appreciate the good experience you developed from 3 kids you have. (My 15 years of medical experience has taught me not to simply put aside a parent’s worry. Sometimes there are surprises), so please consult your doctor.

Please continue to write to me for any further queries. I would be more than happy to help you.

Follow-up: Infant has diarrhea and vomiting a gel like substance. Medical cure for this? 5 hours later
thank you very much!

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 3 minutes later

You are welcome.

How is your kid now?

Any further episodes of vomiting or did it subside?

I hope his bronchial asthma is under control. One may have to use preventor therapy if the attacks are frequent in such cases.

You may contact me with further details on the following URL...........

WWW.WWWW.WW
In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me .............. and I can answer your queries regarding your kid online regularly.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics