Infant has cold and runny nose. Not able to walk properly. Related to developmental delay?

Question
Hi Doctor,,,
My nephew is 14 months old and he is not able to walk following cold associated with cough and flowing nose...its 5 days now....really bothered..Plz help..
He was not able to walk initially and was not crawling even....but now he is able to stand with support and crawl too...

really really bothered.....Plz help
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thanks for posting this question in XXXXXXX

I have noted your complaints.

One thing which is quite clear form the data is that your nephew has developmental delay

The following two possibilities are to be considered in this condition

1. If you have noticed worsening following cold (i am still not sure if he was able to walk just before the cold), then a neurological cause is highly likely. This could be problems in the peripheral nerves or even spinal cord.

2. Children with developmental delay may have this type of course following acute problem.

The best way to resolve this issue will be do get evaluated by a pediatric neurologist at the earliest.

The clinical interview and the neurological assessment will guide further course of action in this case.

Treatment will largely depend upon the diagnosis and so also the long term outcome

Hope this clarifies

Follow-up: Infant has cold and runny nose. Not able to walk properly. Related to developmental delay? 12 hours later
He use to walk alot before the cold...he use to dance too..I m a doctor myself ...I dont feel he hs a developmental delay...its something postviral..
We hv consulted a pediatrician and neurologist in Aiims..they did ultrasound too...n hv prescribed Nsai....
can myositis b a cause..???? How much it takes fr it to recover.?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 3 minutes later

Thanks for the feedback

This may represent a post-viral syndrome. Please get evaluated with a pediatric neurologist at AIIMS. They will guide you if he needs MRI/CSF study/illness.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Infant has cold and runny nose. Not able to walk properly. Related to developmental delay? 21 minutes later
Okie....will do that...
Is there anything to worry about as we r badly anxious....

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 minutes later
No, the prognosis of post-viral syndrome is generally good.

Best wishes