Infant fell down, got hit on back of head. Didn't cry and playing normally. Concerned

Feb 2013

My 22 month old baby girl fell on the stairs while she was going downstairs she fell backwards and hit the back of her head on the tile. Stairs were carpeted and padded were about 7 stairs. She didn t cry but she was scared. She stayed two hrs awake after that and was playing normally . Will she be fine? This accident happened 21 hours ago .
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 59 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

As there are no symptoms related to significant brain injury like vomitings, loss of consciousness, abnormal behavior or sensorium, or decreased movements of limbs, or any bleeding from nose or ears, nothing to worry.

She will be fine. Nothing to worry as she is awake and playful after the event.

But observe for any abnormal behavior or sensorium, vomitings, fits, abnormal movements, drowsiness, and paucity of limb movements for atleast first 24 hours.

And if you find any abnormality, report to emergency immedietly.

Consult your Pediatrician once to look for any local swelling, tenderness and for neurologic assessment.

Domestic injuries are the significant causes of trauma in children like falls, TV falls, burns and scald injuries due to spillage of hot liquids, and accidental ingestion of medicines and poisons. To prevent these type of accidents, strict supervision of children and their activities is required in this age group.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.